03/08/2024

PvP Season Six Finished

The other day I finished my goals for PvP Season 6... including all the achievements. I was rather surprised to be hitting that point with almost two months left in the season.

When the devs originally announced their plans for Season 6, I wasn't too on board with some of the changes and noted that I was hoping they'd reconsider some of their plans based on people's feedback. Unfortunately that didn't happen, and I definitely grumbled when I claimed my adrenal and medpack "rewards", which didn't stack with the thousands I already have and vendored for a two-digit number of credits.

But the five levels added to the reward track had an... interesting effect. Usually the way my season progression would go was: finish the warzone weekly achievement first (since I really enjoy warzones and they are responsible for most of my progress in PvP), followed by finishing the main track a few weeks later. Then I'd need a couple more weeks to finish my arena weeklies (since I don't like them as much and pops in the lowbie and midbie brackets can be slow, I rarely complete more than one a week) and finally I'd hit the 2000 medals.

Four characters in bounty hunter outfits standing in the waiting area for the Mandalorian Battle Ring arena

A screenshot from an arena I rather enjoyed. Four bounty hunters vs. the world! RIP, enemy team who got obliterated by three Powertechs with a pet healer both rounds.

This time around, the achievement for twelve weekly warzone missions was still the first thing I completed, but I also had quite a few levels of the reward track left to go so nothing else happened for a while... and then I completed the main track, the arena weekly achievement and the medal achievement all within hours of each other. I think the main track was actually the last thing I finished as well.

That was... odd. I honestly hadn't expected to finish everything seemingly at once and to then just be done, with so much time left in the season. On the one hand it was kind of nice, but on the other I'm not sure that's really the best way to balance these things either. I always figured that completing the reward track was meant to be the main goal, with the additional achievements being "stretch goals" that you can work towards if you're particularly hardcore. When it works that way, this also means that gameplay-wise, there's a kind of curve to your activity, where you first play a lot, working on everything at once, and then it gently slopes downwards as you complete things and have to invest less and less time to just finish off those last few remaining goals.

The regular Galactic Season works like that too (or at least it did in the past, the silly fragments achievement in the last one kind of screwed things up). I'm not sure how much of a point there is to things like the medal achievement if you complete it automatically before even completing the track, just because that's how many matches you need to play to get to the end anyway.

That aside, I don't have much to add about the season that I didn't already express in this post from June.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)