12/05/2024

Drop In: Tatooine

Being on holiday doesn't mean that I was going to skip writing about week eight's tour of Tatooine strongholds I did for seasons.

Like Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine was among the first batch of strongholds added to the game, and I have a particular fondness for it because out of that first set of four, it was originally my favourite. Unfortunately, it being old and from a time when strongholds served a slightly different purpose than they do now, I also saw some more evidence of old-fashioned deco spam, though not as much as I did on Nar Shaddaa.

I visited a Tatooine stronghold on all six servers this time, starting with Tlaocetl's Vacation Retreat on Darth Malgus. The first thing that struck me about this stronghold was that the decos were a pretty contradictory mix in terms of themes, with the room where you load in containing a bar, a serene fountain and an altar covered with skulls all in close proximity of each other.

As I looked around the other rooms, I initially got the impression that it was all a collection of personal trophies, but then I also found a room that was completely empty and a couple more that had obviously just been "spammed" to get to 100% completion.

On Leviathan, I visited Karen Himeki's Syndicate Nerver Center, hoping that perhaps the name was hinting at an underworld theme, but in practice this stronghold was probably one of the most competently done yet unexciting strongholds I've ever seen. Imperial flags and guardsmen indicated a clear faction preference, and several rooms contained setups with tables and comfy-looking couches that looked like nice places to hang out, but I didn't get much of a sense of purpose from the place. Unless the purpose was really just to make a comfortable place for Imps to spend their free time, in which case the owner succeeded at that.

My favourite stronghold of this lot was the one I visited on Tulak Hord, called Vermächtnishändler's Black Market (the character name is German for "legacy trader" by the way, implying that it's a bank/GTN alt, which somehow made it sound even more fitting).

What I liked about this one was that a lot of the rooms were very strongly themed and at least loosely fit the overall theme as well, starting with this very striking view when you first load in:

The balcony in the Tatooine stronghold, with two giant beast skulls hanging from the ceiling and staring at the visitor

There were also multiple cantinas.

A detail I particularly loved was this outdoor bantha enclosure consisting of fencing and sun roofs and which used last season's depository of dark wisdom to create what looks like a sort of feeding trough for the animals.


The owner was also clearly proud of their PvP prowess, as they had a whole room dedicated to their various trophies.

Then there was what I could only call a "droid room"...


... and a Hutt room, though I'm not entirely sure what's going in the little scene that's set up in it. It looks like one guy is threatening the Hutt and the other one is defending him? Maybe?

On Star Forge, I visited Monsieur Fancypants' Hideout at 99% completion, which amused me with its name. I was surprised that this was the only Tat stronghold I visited that actually featured the Sarlacc pit deco (from what I saw).

 
Other rooms once again revealed a strong Imperial focus, with dark side relics and Sithy NPCs front and centre.

The room that really surprised me in here though was an unassuming hallway. You don't expect hallways to be interesting, as they're usually just connectors between different rooms, but this one was absolutely stuffed with carbonite trophies and flashing red lights, which just made me go "WTF", haha.

On Satele Shan, Kaómi's Republic Sanctuary finally offered a bit of reprieve from all the Imp lovers, with a stronghold filled with Republic guardsmen and featuring a briefing room that I liked.


The thing that really stood out to me in this stronghold though was its use of desert flora. You don't often see these cactus plants from Ruhnuk used for example, but this player really selected the right plant decorations to create scenery that looked appropriate for Tatooine, instead of simply assuming that an endless water supply could create an oasis where everything and anything can grow anyway.

Finally, on Shae Vizla I was once again somewhat limited in terms of choice and ended up visiting Ralyne's Marketplace Cantina at only 39% completion. One funny thing here was that I soon realised that it belonged to a guildie and they were actually inside while I was roaming around, browsing the GTN or something.

The owner once again did what they could with a limited number of decos, with a pretty "standard" selection of items as well as a dedicated relic room and med bay.

The funniest and most interesting thing to me was a small room containing only two decos: an animated metal/rubbish conveyor belt and a floor tile that's meant to look like there's a beast pit underneath, and they had been positioned in such a way that it looked like the conveyor belt's contents were being spilled into the pit. I don't know why, but that just tickled me.


Do you have any thoughts on these Tatooine strongholds or the ones you visited yourself for last week's season objective?

5 comments :

  1. I went to a stronghold owned by someone named "Batman" (well, with more special characters) in the hopes of seeing some comic book references. I think there were a few references to the Batcave in the area where you enter, but it was hard to tell because it was stuffed with decos and I could've just been projecting what I wanted to see. I also think the idea of the rest of the stronghold was that it was the streets of Gotham + villain hideouts... but again, maybe that's what I wanted to see.

    The *potential* to decorate Tatooine like a little town instead of an isolated compound really interests me, though. It's one of my favorite things about Rishi, and it made me wonder if I should buy one... but I already have enough partially-decorated strongholds, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the conveyor belt with pit amusing.
    I really should hit up some other strongholds to see if I can get inspiration when I am feeling stuck with my own.
    Although I feel like my own Tatooine stronghold is going fairly well. It's only 42% or so though so I haven't bothered with listing it yet. I have a lot of decorations to hunt down yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am OVERJOYED that you are still blogging (I'm a slacker) and that you love the "drop ins" as much as I do. I love seeing ideas that I didn't think of. If you ever see "mojo-dojo casa-house" on star forge, that's me. I admit to making a character named mojo-dojo casa-house just for stronghold purposes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to hear from you and that you're still active, Njessi! Even if you're not posting.

      Fun fact, I was just looking at the last post on your blog the other week because it occurred to me that with my newly increased appreciation for decorating, I would also understand and appreciate that stronghold better too. And I did. 😊

      Delete
    2. I should get off my butt and post again then. I've redone that one... a few times... I really have deco issues.

      Delete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)