15/08/2026

8.0 Is Called "Masters of the Force"

I was just thinking the other day that it's a bit odd that the devs have given us this much information about 8.0 at this point, but we still don't know the expansion's name. Traditionally, the name would be among the first things you'd want to tell people. When Knights of the Eternal Throne was first announced, we in fact had nothing but a name and a splash screen at first.

And then Broadsword posted a news article this Thursday that summarised everything they'd revealed about the expansion so far while also finally telling us its name: Masters of the Force. There's also a dedicated landing page for it.

I'm not sure how much to read into this name, because to be honest, SWTOR expansion names have traditionally not been super informative in regards to what that expansion's story is about. Like, who are the Knights of the Fallen Empire in KotFE? So I'm not going to spend too much time speculating just who the Masters of the Force are - but let's just say, with where Legacy Reborn ended, it makes sense that who can master the Force is going to be a central question in upcoming story content.

They did also add that the (launch?) storyline is going to be called "Galaxy in Chaos", which, again, also makes sense. Plus it's official confirmation that there will be a new bunch of story content in 8.0. It's funny because for all the things I was unsure of in regards to 8.0 early on, the fact that we'll be getting a continuation of the current storyline is the one thing that was never in question for me. The devs just weren't talking about it this early on because of spoilers. But apparently there were some people on the forums who thought that because the new story hadn't been explicitly mentioned yet, it wasn't going to happen. Huh!

Anyway, it's really nice to be able to put a name to the new "era" now instead of just always calling it 8.0. I happily went back and added the new tag to all my previous posts about the subject.

The one thing I'm currently not so sure about is the acronym, because "Mot(he)F", to me, sounds like someone cutting themselves off before yelling out a swear, but I expect that may just be one of those first impressions that won't stick. I don't think many players remember how we used to call Knights of the Fallen Empire "the coffee expansion" or how people used to cringe about the fact that "KotET" in German describes someone having a bowel movement.

(Oh, and on a related note, Broadsword also released a mini pet code you can redeem until the end of the year for an ugly little gladiopodling pet: GETRDY4MOTF - you're welcome!)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)