24/12/2023

Enjoying Life Day

Today I'd like to wish all my readers a merry Christmas and happy holiday season - especially if it's perhaps not the happiest time for you personally, for example because your life doesn't conform to the traditional requirements of what a happy Christmas tableau should look like, such as if you have to work over the holidays or don't have a good relationship with your relatives.

I've been thinking about that recently, and for me at least, Christmas is probably the holiday that has "degraded" the most since I was a little kid. I'm honestly a bit envious of adults who still get genuinely excited about it. When I was a child, I couldn't wait to open the next door of my advent calendar every day in December, and Christmas Eve always felt pretty magical when we were finally allowed into the bedroom to see all the presents lined up. However, as an adult it just feels like I care less and less every year. Mr Commando and I mostly agreed to not bother with buying presents for each other as it just stresses us out, and on past occasions when I bought myself an advent calendar "for fun" I usually forgot to open the door most days since I'm just too busy with other things. It's a bit sad, honestly.

With that said, I've been surprised by just how much I've been enjoying Life Day in SWTOR. There isn't that much to it, but in a way that's what I love about it (and I have talked positively about that in the past). While real life is filled with all these expectations about cards, presents and family visits, Life Day is just wonderfully chill.


There's nothing quite like hanging out in front of the Senate Tower or on the Nar Shaddaa Promenade and pelting things with snowballs. If you feel like getting more involved, you can run around and try to tag all the different gift droid spawns, or look for a flash mob assembling around an overheated one, but if you're feeling lazy, just staying in the same area and throwing snowballs at random NPCs and passers-by works as well. It's a great way to pass the time while waiting in queues, especially if you don't expect the wait time to be too long and/or you don't feel like going out and doing something more involved in the meantime (such as dailies for example).

If only the real-life holiday could be equally as relaxing to me... anyway, my point is that I appreciate that it's there. I'll definitely try to make the most of it while it lasts.

7 comments :

  1. Merry Christmas! Life Day is my favorite event because of how relaxing it is. Due to my dad's job we rarely get to celebrate Christmas on the actual day, but for me the best part of the holiday is the food we prepare. We have a tradition in my family to make authentic Mexican and that's definitely the highlight of the day for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is (probably) the way - to come up with traditions that work for you and your circumstances. Hope you have a good one!

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas! I seem to spend as much time talking about how to enjoy Christmas as actually doing anything about it these days. I was very keen on Christmas all the way through until my early 40s but I cooled on it for a while in the nineties/2000s, mainly because it turned into something of a logistical/political minefield, as it is for so many families.

    In recent years, though, that side of things has calmed down a lot and I'm able to go back to really enjoying it again. I'm definitely well past the big family gathering style of celebration now. I much prefer just myself and Mrs Bhagpuss and Beryl on Christmas Day, with huge piles of presents to open, many of which come from ourrespective wish-lists, meaning we each get what we want and no-one's had to stress about choosing. That said, we are both pretty good at choosing presents for people and we both enjoy it, so there will be some nice surprises, I'm sure.

    I'd bet that even if you aren't really feeling Cristmas lately, you'll come back around to it later. One thing you can be sure of - it's not going anywhere. The entire retail economy would collapse without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could well see that happen for me too. During the height of the pandemic, while it was obviously sad to not be able to see family at all during the lockdown, Mr Commando and I discovered that there was something charming about Christmas with just the two of us, and coming up with our own way of celebrating it. I do like the idea of being able to do more of that in the future.

      Delete
  3. Happy Holidays to you and Pet Tank, Shintar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Holidays!

    I've come to enjoy in-game holiday events where things can be low key. I mean, it is nice to have a new event and do everything the first time, but after that it feels better when skipping it doesn't feel bad or that there's just a few new things to do/get. I guess the fun shifts from doing everything to just having a bit of casual participation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. Whenever people complain that a recurring event doesn't receive enough updates every year, I'm over in the corner trying to look inconspicuous, because I'm honestly quite glad not to have to re-grind the whole thing every year. 😅

      Delete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)