19/08/2023

A Long, Slow Goodbye to Twitter

I created my Twitter account almost eleven years ago. The site was still smaller back then, a kind of nerdy place for bloggers to hang out. It wasn't something I ever felt I needed in my life, but I was curious enough to check it out and see what the fuss was all about.

And I kept using it, even though I never loved it. In 2015 I wrote about what I saw as some of the pros and cons of Twitter. I will say that it grew on me over time though. As I became more active within the SWTOR community on Twitter, I had more positive interactions. Also, when I finally got a smartphone, I could verify that there was indeed more of an appeal to scrolling through Twitter on the train (for example) than to looking at it on my desktop PC.

And then all that Elon Musk drama happened last year. I kept hearing worse and worse things about him, but was still hopeful that even if he was a big jerk, that didn't necessarily mean that Twitter couldn't continue to do its thing (lots of tech billionaires are not among the nicest people, but that doesn't necessarily make their products unusable). Oh boy, did I have no idea.

Look, I'm not going to rehash all the nonsense he's inflicted on the site since then - there are hundreds of articles and videos out there laying it all out in detail. If you're a Twitter user and you feel that his buyout hasn't really impacted your experience, I'm not here to tell you that you should feel otherwise... but for many of us, the site has become increasingly less usable and just generally less enjoyable to hang out on.

I've seen a lot of people talk about leaving, just to then come back a week later because despite everything, they missed it too much, and I didn't want to be one of them. However, I also have very different motivations from many Twitter users. For me, Twitter was always meant to be an extension of the blog, and so my first reaction to Musk firing 80% of the site's staff was one of annoyance. At the time, I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if the site had just outright crashed within two weeks, and I was seething at the thought that I'd put ten years of myself into a website that might just disappear one day due to the whims of a random billionaire. I mean, we often joke about how Google might shut down Blogger any day now, but at least they are usually professional about these things, giving you notice and plenty of time to export your data.

So I came away from the whole Twitter debacle with two main resolutions: firstly, to slowly wean myself off using Twitter as much (though I was going to continue using it while there were still interesting things to read there), and secondly, to extract everything I had ever posted there, review it for things I wanted to keep and remember, and incorporate them into this blog.

Point one was relatively easy to action: I completely stopped using my secondary account, and cut down on posting on my main account, no longer offering up random thoughts or anything like that, but purely limiting myself to promoting the blog and posting the occasional reply to someone else. I also started to look for other places that would provide a similar sort of entertainment and/or could be used to promote my writings. (For example I've taken to making a post on the official SWTOR forums every month.)

Point two meant requesting a copy of my stored data while that service was still functional, and starting work on sorting and categorising it. The latter is still ongoing, because it turns out that manually reviewing almost 5000 Tweets and pasting them into blog posts takes some time, and to be honest it's a bit boring - the kind of task for which I have to be in the right mindset. I am however close to being done, and what will happen then is that I will start making a series of posts on here called "Tales from Twitter" which will reproduce old Tweets of mine that I'd like to remember and preserve. I don't know how many parts this series will have yet, and since it's not time-sensitive, my plan is to intersperse it with "normal" posts. I don't know how interesting these will be to you as readers... I think some of them, like the random pug/PvP stories, are pretty amusing and timeless, but others might not be. Still, it's something I'd like to do for myself above all else, to have all this content in one place.

As for what will happen to Twitter... to be honest, at this point I think it will slowly fade away for me. As of now, there are still a few people there for whose content I check in every day, but the number of posts on my timeline is constantly decreasing as people leave and the weird crap that's been done to the algorithms makes it harder to find interesting new people to follow. I'm trying out Bluesky as a "Twitter replacement" (it's not the same but to me personally it does seem to be the competitor most likely to be able to serve a similar purpose right now) but regardless of how things go there, I feel like I'm going to make more conscious decisions going forward about where to post anything on the web.

8 comments :

  1. For me, I've found the posts I'm interested in reading and engaging with slowly fading as folks stop interacting with Twitter. (I've also stopped using my secondary account, as well.) If they indicate where they have gone to I'll follow them there as I like to read stuff.

    That said, I do tend to look at Twitter on a regular basis via a browser as a number of artists I like to follow still post their art on Twitter. Amusingly, I have ended up following more artists post-Musk even as my social interactions have tended to fade.

    One other reason I have less engagement with Twitter (and Reddit for the same reasons) is that the 3rd party apps I really liked have been killed off. Without those there's been less convenience with the sites and less joy in scrolling through/reading the existing content.

    One thing I do wish I could get access to is an easy method of downloading all the tweets I've liked. There are a number of art pieces and comments I've favorited over the years and I'd hate to lose them. I'll have to see what I can figure out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likes are included in the personal data dump you can request for download, though I just checked mine and when I look at the likes section, once I scroll down a bit, it crashes and prompts me to request a new download, so no idea how reliable it is. I'm also not sure it includes media, which might be relevant for you if you were liking art and with the platform apparently deleting all media older than ten years the other day (whether intentionally or by accident, who knows). It might be a good place for you to start either way.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the tip. :) I hadn't dug through the archive I snagged last November, so I didn't realize likes were in it. I've requested another archive so between the two I should have everything I can reasonably get. I think I'll start saving a copy of the stuff I like on my PC as a back-up. (Annoying to have to do that manually, but it would be even more annoying to lose something I'd like to keep long term.)

      I'm not so worried about losing some stuff I liked. I often use the likes to bookmark something I want to check out later (game trailers, events, etc.). I've also used likes to help boost someone, well, as much as any completely obscure Twitter user can. ^_^ Over time I've unliked something when the period of help I might have contributed is long over.

      Oh, I probably always call it Twitter instead of X. Not so much out of rebelliousness, but the fact most people will know what Twitter is over what X is, just like I say Facebook or Google over Meta and Alphabet.

      Delete
    3. I mean, yeah, I don't imagine I'll ever call it "X" either. Both because it's a silly name and because it doesn't really mean anything to anyone. 😛 When you say "Twitter", everybody knows what you mean.

      Delete
  2. Good for you for leaving X. Though I have thought Elon Musk is a jackass ever since the 2019 coup in Bolivia where he showed the world the true face of a billionaire, they are all the same. Billionaires are not your friend. They dont even think youre in the same animal species as them. I had a professor who studied the filthy rich.

    I left fakebook and Verizon after the Snowden leaks of project Prism. I couldnt leave YouTube though. That's my Achilles heel. But yeah, we all have our lines. Once a billionaire or their institutions like Cambridge Analytica, NSA, etc crosses that line, I bounce, forever.

    I tried to join Bluesky just now, but it wasnt simple. Until they simplify joining, it can never beat these billionaire run data mining trap hubs. But I will try to join it later, when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these big companies are unethical in some way, so you've got to choose your battles. The funny thing is that I was absolutely willing to keep using Twitter with him at the helm as long as he just allowed it to keep running (mostly) as it was... but he had to go in and make all these harebrained changes while also making sure that every single one of them could be directly attributed to him so people could feel repulsed by him personally. It's madness.

      Delete
  3. Twitter has almost become not even worth checking anymore. It's really been noticable these past couple of months.
    I don't post on there but I have ended up using it as my way to follow games I enjoy (mostly SWtOR and The Sims 4) because I found it easier for that than Instagram (I find that one better for art). The only reason I have stuck around is to keep up with the game news but as people move on I will as well since the user experience of Twitter is severely lacking anymore. Not that I am surprised with who is at the helm now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do kind of have to pick your poison when it comes to giant companies run by amoral sociopaths. I use Amazon and Walmart a lot because in the end I can't afford to fart away 10% more on household necessities just to make a point. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)