10/07/2023

Savanna Vorantikus Returns!

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Savanna Vorantikus? OK, it wasn't really a tragedy, more of a comedy.

You see, SWTOR's Cartel Market has a daily flash sale, where an item will be half price for 24 hours only. Usually it's something that's not super popular, but the reduced price can make it a good deal regardless.

Last year, on the 30th of September, the featured CM item of the day was a mount called Savanna Vorantikus: only 750 Cartel Coins instead of the usual 1500! Sure, whatever. The next day, it changed to the Swamp Rancor, another mount.


However, on the 2nd of October, the Savanna Vorantikus was back. How odd! They don't usually discount the same item twice in such quick succession. Oh well.

The next four days featured an assortment of different items as you'd expect: two weapons, an armour set and a speeder. But on the 7th of October, the Savanna Vorantikus returned yet again. And then again the next day. And then again the day after. And then the next two days after that.

People on the forums, on reddit and on other social media went nuts. What was going on? Just how many of these beasts did they have to get rid of? I mean, it was pretty obvious that something was bugged, or perhaps the person that usually populates the flash sale schedule had unexpectedly taken sick, but those were boring explanations. It was much more fun to meme.

As someone who doesn't usually pay that much attention to the Cartel Market, I didn't immediately notice the repetition, but let's just say that by the fifth day, so many people were talking about it, it was hard to miss. Just as I was starting to think that I should really buy one for myself just to get in on the silly fun, they finally fixed the schedule. The flash sale still "hiccuped" a little as it repeated the exact same four items that had been featured in early October plus the Swamp Rancor, but it didn't revert to the Vorantikus after that, so we were out of the woods. And I always kind of regretted missing out! I even checked the GTN at some point but ultimately decided against buying it from there.

Needless to say, when I saw the Savanna Vorantikus on sale again today, I pounced on the opportunity to get my own. At last, I am in on the joke! Now the question is just whether that will be it or whether the Savanna Vorantikus will once again make a return tomorrow or the day after...

3 comments :

  1. You're forgetting my favorite part of the story--they made the first boss of the new flashpoint a Savannah Vorantikus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe well... I don't see anything particularly Savanna about that one; it's just a normal Vorantikus I think. 😛

      Delete
  2. Oh! I noticed the Savannah Vorantikus returning every day and was wondering what in the world was going on. The first three days I didn't think much of it. After that though I started wondering if some intern was in charge and messing with us.

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)