18/02/2023

Bugged for a Decade

I have a low-level trooper on Satele Shan that I created ages and ages ago - I don't remember when it was exactly, but it must've been at least close to a decade ago. It was before you chose an advanced class at level one, and looking at my achievements for Ord Mantell it might've even been before the achievement system was introduced with Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

I originally created this character to say hi to Redbeard on whatever server he was playing on at the time and which later got merged into something else. I also remember that I only got to level seven because I ran into some sort of bug that prevented me from progressing - which didn't bother me too much at the time because it was just a random alt and I figured I'd just come back to it at a later date, by which time the bug would hopefully have been fixed.

Only... that never happened. I made other alts on Satele Shan, but for some reason I remained reluctant to go back to this one. I remembered making a lot of dark side decisions during those early missions and felt kind of bad about that in retrospect. So she just sat there, for years and years.

However, this week one of the weekly seasons objectives was to do fifteen missions on a trooper, so I thought I might as well use that as an opportunity to dust off this particular alt on Satele Shan. I logged in, cleared out a decade worth of subscriber reward emails and ran around a bit to pick up some exploration missions. Then I talked to a twi'lek NPC just outside Fort Garnik for my class story. When the conversation finished, my personal holocom popped up and the mission instructions changed to tell me to take the call. So I clicked on the holocom and... nothing happened, except a short voice line from Aric Jorgan telling me to get a move on already. I could get that to repeat by clicking again, but no conversation would actually start. In fact, I could not move at all.

And in that moment I remembered that it was this exact bug on which I had gotten stuck last time - it was still there a decade later! I did a quick Google search to find whether other people had any experience with this bug in "The Ambush" and whether there was some sort of workaround, but all I found was someone complaining on the forums back in 2015 that this bug still wasn't fixed even though it had originally been reported in 2012. I've got bad news for you, buddy...

I tried the usual standard procedures to deal with that kind of thing: relogging, resetting the quest, restarting my entire game... and while those allowed my character to move again, I could not get past that bugged holocall. Eventually I submitted a customer support ticket describing the situation and asking whether they could move me past that step of the quest somehow. And to their credit, they did! I got a response within less than 24 hours that the matter had been handled, and I found that my trooper was now level eight and on the next step of the quest, meaning I could finally continue.

I was just kind of surprised that such a game-breaking bug was still around after more than a decade, and that there was so little documentation about it. I can only guess that it's pretty rare and triggered by an obscure set of circumstances, seeing how I've taken many troopers through Ord Mantell myself without ever running into the issue. Fortunately it wasn't a big deal for me since the character was just one of a million alts and customer service responded within a reasonable time frame. I'm just a little worried whether she's still bugged in some other way as I noticed that while running around and questing I kept getting constant "out of range" error message pop-ups without doing anything...

7 comments :

  1. Weird. I wonder if it had something to do with the character itself - maybe some flag was set wrong when it was first created. I've played through that quest more times than I can count and have never encountered that bug. If I ever did get something like that on a starter world I'd likely just delete and recreate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I remember that!

    But I had an issue with my original Trooper in one of those early missions, and as it turned out I the data file for the Trooper itself had become corrupted and the only way to fix it was to start over. (So I did. At least it was in the beginning, not the end of the class story.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I was touched that you had created a toon just to say hi to me.

      Delete
    2. How did you come to the conclusion that the character's data file had become corrupted? Did customer service actually tell you that?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I opened a ticket and they told me that the only way to fix it was to start over.

      Delete
  3. Speaking of old bugs in SWTOR, someone should review the most expensive and most wanted cartel weapons and armor sets. Like the Smuggler's Luck blaster, the Ancient Force-Imbued Blade, or any weapon with a holster or sheath. And even new armor sets like the Outer Rim Drifter (Cad Bane’s Armor). They all need honest reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a former programmer that sort of bug is interesting. It wouldn't be surprising with all the changes in the game it can't be reproduced now, but since all that stuff is stored on the server that once you had the bug it continued to cause problems with the questing system.

    You may forever get out of range error messages since Customer Service bumped you to the next step without (very likely) actually solving the issue with the quest. Be happy that you now have a very rare, if not unique, character in the game: Ou't of the O'Range clan. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)