06/11/2019

Musings on Onslaught's Story, Part 2: Mek-Sha

So after Onderon's plot felt a bit mediocre to me, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about Mek-Sha, presumably totally unique smuggler haven #247 and not the sort of setting I tend to immediately fall in love with. (Spoilers to follow. You've been warned.)


In this case, I was very wrong though! Your task on Mek-Sha primarily concerns diplomacy, as the Republic wants to buy fuel for its fleet and needs the five biggest gangs on the asteroid to vote in favour of going through with the deal. As an Imperial, you want to sabotage actually want this deal to succeed as well, which was very surprising to me as a player, to my character, and to everyone she mentioned it to - which was in turn somewhat amusing to me. It's all in order to set up a trap for the fleet though.

All five "factions" were immediately interesting to me:

There is Huttbreaker, who is the one who's in charge above all others and the first female Nikto I recall seeing in game!


Then there is Junker Jott, who is responsible for all the tech on the station and a gruff but lovable Republic war veteran. My jaw dropped when I found out that he was also voiced by Darin De Paul (who is the voice of Valkorion, General Daeruun and others) because I absolutely did not recognise him in this role, which just goes to show once again how absolutely awesome he is at his job.

On Imperial side we have the mysterious Brothers, slavers dressed like ninjas who pursue their trade with an almost religious zeal as they believe that making their slaves do work is productive and wholesome, which I thought was an unusual and interesting angle to take for an organisation like that.

Though you do get to talk to all of these, the two linchpins of the mission end up being a Rodian crime lord called Veek the Sneek, and Indigo, leader of a group of Mandalorian outcasts, as you'll need one of their votes to sway the outcome in your faction's favour. Indigo in particular is written with some interesting detail as he reacts differently if you bring one of your Mandalorian companions with you (Shae, Torian, and supposedly Akaavi too).


There isn't really a lot of variety in how you can handle these two (I was really hoping you'd be able to cook up a bit of intrigue by going back and forth between Veek and Indigo - mainly I wanted to rat Veek out to Indigo so that he could get him kicked off the station without resorting to outright murder, but alas, no such luck) but after the bland cast I had dealt with on Onderon just talking to all these characters with colourful personalities felt like such a breath of fresh air; I loved it.

I also really appreciated that Gault and Hylo showed up to give you an introduction to the place - just another one of those small touches that just made so much sense. With such practised and experienced scoundrels in your Alliance, why wouldn't you naturally seek out their advice on a mission like this?

I would say the one major downside of the plot on Mek-Sha is that due to the nature of events, there is a lot of overlap between both factions, which somewhat lowers replayability. How many times do you really want to listen to Huttbreaker's speech? Or get attacked by a mysterious Sith assailant (who we'll come back to in part three of this series)?


There is some variety between Republic and Imperial experiences though, which does once again come down the small character interactions. Republic characters get to reunite with Commander Vice Admiral Narlock from the Esseles for example, while Imperials deal with Darths Shaar and Vowrawn (I assume it's just Shaar if Vowrawn is Emperor in your timeline).

Republic characters also have a little episode where Arn calls for help after freaking out at the Brothers and killing a lot of them. I keep finding this one a little odd as everyone around you reacts very much along the lines of: "Aww, the poor traumatised Jedi!" Yes, the people he killed were slavers, but it's still generally not considered a good thing for Jedi to go into a rage like that. I don't know if you can actually get him in trouble if you choose the disapproving/reprimanding dialogue options all the time. (I'm clearly too much of a softie.)

Imperials meanwhile get to steal some blueprints from Junker Jott while Major Anri and her squad dress up as Nova Blades to distract him, which is mildly amusing.


In the end you either protect or disable/destroy the Republic fleet... which does bring me to something else though:

All of my playthroughs so far have been on loyalist characters as I don't have anyone with a personality that I'd consider suitable for sabotage caught up to the most current content. I think I've said a few times that I really need to get someone up there, but I haven't actually made much progress with this plan.

I didn't think that this was too much of a big deal as everybody kept saying that the saboteur path didn't make that much of a difference on Ossus, beyond the sabotaged faction's leadership grumbling about not achieving some bonus objectives. Things seem to be different in Onslaught though.

I've kind of avoided outright spoilers for what happens to saboteurs so far, but I've heard several comments that there are actually significant differences this time around. The thing that really tipped me off though was that I got a letter in the mail on Imperial side which I clearly wasn't meant to get (yay bugs) and which had Darth Vowrawn talking about mission failure, which makes it sound to me like saboteurs can actually go so far this time around as to prevent your old faction from actually achieving its objective, which sounds pretty intriguing and cool. I really do need to get around to levelling that saboteur now...


Anyway, by the end of Mek-Sha I was fully immersed, having dealt with all kinds of fascinating people throughout, and was ready for the grand finale on Corellia.

18 comments :

  1. Do the Saboteur Storyline... right now! Best EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you do it yet? no?! we should talk about your priorities, young lady. quit work or call in sick...just play the saboteur storyline.

      Delete
    2. Ahahaha! Well, I got my Sniper through Ziost yesterday...

      Delete
    3. You tweeted a link to a xletalis video. he said, the saboteur storyline (empire) is the best part of the expansion.

      Delete
    4. I know; I did watch the spoiler section too. ;) It's a goal to work towards for sure - problem is: this expansion has given me many goals!

      Delete
    5. yes. it is really nice. so much to do. sometimes i don't know, where to start.

      i'm looking forward to reaching renown rank 100 on all eight classes. your reward is a nifty title.

      Delete
  2. I also find it very interesting how even a Loyalist path can differ depending on the choices you make. My Juggernaut made a Light-Side choice on Mek-Sha and got given a fairly significant choice in the final conversation that I'm fairly sure my Sniper, who made all Dark-Side choices, never received.

    From what I understand, that choice is also a Saboteur option, so there's a lot more overlap between the two than I for one would have expected in the 'right' situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was bekommt man eigentlich als Darth Malgus-Spieler von den Problemen auf Tulak Hord mit?! Wir haben seit vier Tagen fast jeden Abend zeitgleich ab 19 Uhr bis 22 Uhr massenweise Spieler, die vom Server gekickt werden. Wir hatten bereits vier Wartungsversuche. Einen längeren, wo auch die anderen europäischen Server runtergefahren/gewartet wurden. Und nix hat geholfen. Eric schreibt sich die Finger wund, aber die komplette deutsche Community hat wohl nach vier Tagen, wo sie zur Primetime nicht spielen kann, ihre Abos gekündigt. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich hab nur Eric's diverse Updates gesehen bzw. natürlich die Wartungsarbeiten gestern Abend mitbekommen. Wusste aber nicht, dass das Problem sich schon so lange hin zieht!

      Delete
    2. Jeder neue Tag ist wie ein Überraschungsei! Man weißt nicht was man bekommt. Erst war die imperiale Flotte betroffen. Jetzt kann man der republikanischen Flotte nicht mehr in die eigene Festung reisen oder Gruppenfinder-Pops annehmen. Auf zwei Planeten ist das Kopfgeldjäger-Event verschwunden. Es ist alles total willkürlich. Jeden Tag was neues... :D

      Delete
    3. hihihi...Keith hat zu uns gesprochen! Wir sind besänftigt. :D

      Delete
    4. Wir sind übrigens in der dritten Woche, in der es absolut willkürlich jederzeit zu Massendisconnects kommt. Von einer Minute auf die andere geht gar nichts mehr. Es ist so traurig.

      Delete
    5. Ich lese gerade meinen ersten Post zu diesem Thema! Vier Tage...ha ha ha...wie ich mich aufgeregt habe. Wie naiv ich war. Drei volle Wochen. Montag beginnt die vierte Woche, in der Tulak Hord nicht bespielbar ist. Vier Tage...lol...wir sind jetzt bei vier Wochen.

      Delete
    6. Ja, ich sehe, dass Eric immer noch zum Thema postet... ist krass, dass Bioware scheinbar immer noch nicht weiß, was denn genau das Problem ist.

      Delete
  4. ... I'm really looking forward to the NEXT post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The draft is written out, I just need to revise it. :) It will probably go live tomorrow.

      Delete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)