27/09/2026

Return of the Character Creation Hangar

One of the reasons Legacy of the Sith's launch back in 2022 was pretty rocky was that 7.0 introduced a lot of unexpected changes to the user interface, which is always a prickly subject for MMO players. Some of these changes we got used to over time, others quickly received adjustments to make them more palatable. (For example I remember people complaining that the contrast on the updated inventory was very stark at launch and gave some players headaches.)

One change that I got used to easily enough but which nonetheless never stopped feeling like a bit of a downgrade was the updated character creation screen. It made sense that it needed changing in order to accommodate the concept of "class" being split into origin story and combat style, but simultaneously changing its look to be much more minimalist always felt kind of unnecessary.

It's funny because before that I honestly had never given that much thought to the character creation screen; it just worked. But when they changed it to the new version, it made me realise just how well-integrated the old, detailed backgrounds had been into the whole flow, depicting your character on a space station when every origin story starts with a shuttle descending from an orbital station to the starter planet below. It was the kind of environmental storytelling you don't necessarily think about consciously but that still enriches the experience. Creating a new character after that just never felt the same.

With that said, I was super chuffed to be told (and later see for myself), that on the 8.0 PTS, the animated backgrounds for character creation are making a return. It's still the new creator, which makes sense, but you're no longer floating in a black void. Instead we're back to your character being put right into the environment where your story begins, which is all I really wanted. It's something that's a small detail in the grand scheme of things but still really delighted me. It makes me look forward to Masters of the Force all the more.

The character creation screen on the PTS, on step 3, "origin" for Republic side. Selected is a Jedi Knight, and unlike on the live servers, you can see a Republic hangar in the background, with a shuttle waiting to take your character away.
Same thing as above, only on Imperial side, with a Bounty Hunter selected. The hangar in the background is very obviously Imperial, with lots of red lighting.

1 comment :

  1. I'm glad to see those return. As you say, feeling like your in the world from the very beginning is good. While the black screen is nice as it lets you focus on your character's looks, I really prefer feeling like I'm getting ready to start my character's adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)