29/06/2016

Dark vs. Light: Early Days

First off, am I the only one who keeps wanting to call it the Light vs. Dark event? Somehow that just sounds so much more natural to me than the other way round. Damn you, Bioware.

Even though I hadn't exactly been blown away by the event announcement, I found myself strangely excited by the idea of actually getting started on Tuesday. I almost decided to roll up a new alt before even launching the new KotFE chapter... but in the end my curiosity about the Gemini Deception won out.

I had put a lot of thought into what kind of character to make my "main" for the event beforehand to make sure that I'd be able to get through the character creation process quickly come Tuesday evening. I'd even spent some time fiddling with the character creator beforehand, screenshotting some looks that I liked, as it always takes me ages to come up with the perfect face. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does that kind of thing?


The question of class was of course the most important one, but was actually relatively easy to solve. My "main" would be the character that I'll take all the way to the last tier - if I feel like doing so at all - so she will have to get geared up, run hardmode flashpoints and so on. I wouldn't want to do this as anything but my preferred role: healer. Also, it goes without saying that this character would be a Pub, since that's where my guild and my allegiance lie. This narrowed it down to trooper, consular or smuggler. In the end my choice fell on the latter, since it's been over three years since I last played through the smuggler story in full and I remember it being one of my favourites. Smuggler is also one of the three classes that I haven't taken into KotFE yet, and I haven't taken either of my existing Scoundrels to 65. Time to smuggle away!

It's clearly been too long since I last rolled up a character from scratch since I'd already forgotten again just how much housekeeping is required the moment you log in. Gotta sort the UI, put all the abilities in the right place, and of course there's the 47 messages waiting in my mailbox... sigh. And to think I complained about those back when there were only 14 of them! However, based on the amount of characters crowding around the first mailbox on Ord Mantell, I clearly wasn't the only one who got bogged down by micromanagement before the fun could start properly.


For all the moaning on the forums, the event seemed to be very well received in game. My guild has been active, the lowbie planets are bustling and the queues are a-popping. Some guildies are already racing through the levels, but personally I'm still "only" level 22 after two nights. I'm not in that much of a hurry. This has the potential to be fun. I just hope that those of us in the guild who are participating don't end up too spread out too quickly, so we can actually tackle the more difficult objectives together when the time comes.

11 comments :

  1. I love the Tanking Aint'easy and Dirtpoor characters in the Ord Mantell group. Tacky names, of course, but at least they're somewhat funny. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even noticed Tanking'aint'easy until you pointed him out...

      Delete
  2. I just reached Nar Shadda with a Commando that I'd created long before the event was a wink in a Dev's eye, but it was pretty busy during North America's lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not planning to participate with a new character then?

      Delete
    2. I created a new Smuggler (yeah, I know, I've got like 4-5 of them around) on Jedi Covenant (where one of the mini-Reds plays), and I figured why not and created a Jedi Knight on my main server.

      I've been resisting creating a male Sith Inquisitor, since it seems that the Inquisitor is my main I've been running through current KotFE content, but I just don't know....

      Delete
  3. My annoyance at the event has blown over, but it has had further consequences that will lessen my enjoyment of the game.

    Guild members whose company I really enjoy are beginning to unsub over this. Feeling kind of disheartened now, just as I was getting used to the idea of giving the event a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're unsubbing over this, it's very likely that they have other reasons for doing so. More than likely they were just looking for an excuse. The DvL event is a silly thing to quit over.

      Delete
    2. I was going to say the same thing. It obviously sucks for you, but if this is the kind of thing that makes them unsub, I hazard a guess that they must've already been very unhappy with the state of the game beforehand.

      Delete
  4. I rerolled a Sith Warrior for this event after I realized that I've never actually had a dark-side SW. Both of my Juggs are Light Rank 5. So I'll see it from the other side. For the Pubs, I think I may go dark-side Knight again. Maybe dark-side Smuggler. Consular and Trooper are just ... no thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two light side Juggernauts! I can't actually remember, did you ever finish all the class stories?

      Delete
    2. Ya! Sure did. Last one I completed was the Inquisitor, believe it or not. Light side Juggs are actually really entertaining, because the whole time this is basically the story:
      Jedi: "Die, Sith!"
      You: "Uh, hold up."
      Jedi: "... did you just say hold up?"
      You: "Yup. So, like we should really be besties. My light rank is higher than yours."
      Jedi: "Dafuq."
      You: "Ya rly."
      Jedi: "I r confused. Me go home now."
      You: "Lulz."

      Delete

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)