29/07/2014

Not Gree-dy Enough

I was really looking forward to the return of the Gree this past week. It has been something like half a year since they last showed up on Ilum, and Bioware added a considerable amount of items to their reputation rewards since then. More Gray Helix Components, please!

Sadly I couldn't work up nearly as much enthusiasm for the event once it actually started. I think in the end I had got two world boss kills under my belt, earned three more Gray Helix Components, and did a few rounds of dailies. Not a very impressive haul.

I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't end up playing more, though I suspect that a mix of reasons played into it.


First off, it remains noticeable how much less time I have to play since I started working full time. One evening I joined a pug that was trying to hunt down some world bosses, which was decent fun even though it involved a lot of milling around while people checked the different map instances for spawns, but after I had got my two kills I looked at the time, realised that a whole hour had passed and that I had to go to bed. It's sad that "inefficient gaming", as I like to think of it, is becoming a bit of a luxury to me right now.

Secondly, it didn't take me long to realise that - even though some new rewards had been added - the event was still the same as before. While I've accepted that all world events from now on are going to be repeatable, that doesn't change that personally I'm just not that interested in repeating them forever. The first time a new event comes out I'm super excited and binge myself on all its content, the second time I may happily finish up what I didn't get around to the first time, but after that it all starts to feel a bit meh, even if there are achievements to kill lots of droids and other players to be chased. Due to their unpredictable schedule, the Gree have done a better job at holding my interest than Bounty Contract Week, but it's still not quite enough.

And finally... I think this particular event may have just been jinxed for me. On the first day my pet tank and I went into the PvP area, we got killed immediately and he got super grumpy. Personally I just tend to shrug these things off, but he took it so badly at the time that it seriously impeded my enjoyment of the event for a while.

While hunting world bosses, my little pug group also ran into a Republic guild that had decided to randomly troll people with smooth moves such as taunting someone else's boss mid-fight and then dragging him away until he reset so they could steal the kill. This is the kind of thing that makes people clamour for shared tagging like other games have it, but I'm not that bothered about that - there is something to be said for the thrill of having to actually compete for some resources. I just don't like it when people fight dirty I suppose. Either way that was another thing that left me feeling a bit down on the event, realising that my already limited time had effectively been wasted that evening because of other people being jerks.

Let's hope that I'll have better luck with the rakghouls once they make their comeback. We all know they will...

No comments :

Post a Comment

Share your opinion! Everyone is welcome, as long as things stay polite. I also read comments on older posts, so don't be shy. :)